I was recently nominated for a Liebster Award by James Phillip Richmond of the blog westutterandwedontcare. I have been in contact with James for a few months, as he read an earlier post of mine involving my stutter, and he asked if I could write a weekly post for his great blog. Naturally, I said yes.
I must thank James for the nomination, as I am honoured he thought of me when he listed some inspirational if under-read blogs. I know that whenever I post, I’ll have a like and a comment from him, and vice versa. To me, that’s what the blogging platform is all about. Sure, it is great to vent and get stuff off your chest, or possibly even wow the world with your viewpoints and writing. But I like the comments I receive and the answers I get back from comments I make. We’re connected to all 4 corners of the globe and beyond (I’m pretty sure alternate universe hotties are reading my blog saying ‘this is the man we must bring back to our planet to rule over our society of women and ensure that we have future generations’.) Yeah, I’m in one of those moods today!
I appreciate the interaction and banter I have with James, and I have with all of my readers who like and comment on my posts. Besides travelling, I have learned more from my interactions from people, whether personally or through discussions on blogs, than I have from any text book I’ve ever read. And I’ve read a lot of text books and taken a lot of information from them.
And while I am grateful for the nomination, I will have to respectfully decline it. I don’t know enough people on this site to send a nomination too. I know many do not like to get such things. And most of the people I follow have well over 200 followers (which is the cut off for this award). But, since James did take the time to ask me 10 questions (although he has admitted he is just using the questions asked to him – the nerve huh? Lol.), I will answer those questions and leave you all with one when I am done.
1. Where is your Favourite Place? I simply love South Africa, especially the game reserves. I’m an animal lover and South Africa provides a plethora of opportunities for me to bask in the natural world. Having said that, when I’m here in Dubai, I love nothing better than laying on my couch with my two cats for company.
2. Who is the Best Bond? Sean Connery. Hands down. Daniel Craig is the first Bond who looks like he really could kick your ass, but Connery made the character iconic. And he made him iconic for a reason.
3. Name 3 Things I am Proud of: In no particular order: Graduating from college in my 30s, having never been to prison, and having friends that are way too good for me. They say you can tell a lot about a person by the friends they have. I must be even more awesome than I pretend to be if this is the case. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for the truly remarkable people I get to call my friends.
4. What was the Last Thing that Made you Laugh? My friend tripped walking up the stairs coming in to work this morning. That shit always gets me.
5. Do you Do Any Regular Exercise/Sport? Does walking back to the buffet line repeatedly count? No? I guess the answer is not much. I’ve become extremely lazy since I’ve been in Dubai. Although I did go out and play football (soccer) last week and that might be a weekly thing now. That will be good. Once I start something, I’ll usually start more things. I should run though.
6. Do you have Any Pets? I have two cats I brought with me from Saudi Arabia. Liefie and Meisie. They’re my little troublemaking angels. Can’t picture my apartment without them.
7. What would you do in the Event of a Zombie Apocalypse? Short answer. Survive and thrive. And don’t worry; I’d still have enough energy to help repopulate the Earth. Lol.
8. What was the Last Book I Read and Enjoyed? I loved the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
9. What Annoys or Irritates you? Ignorance and a failure to see, let alone accept, another point of view. People getting in my personal space. The humidity in Dubai right now as my 4 minute walk from the metro to my office results in a very sweaty undercarriage. I do not like that.
10. If there was a movie of your life, what would it be called and who would play you? I think it should be called It’s a Hard G, as I’m always correcting people who pronounce my name with a soft G. I think Ewan MacGregor could do a good job playing me (and roughly the same age).
And here’s my question for you that you can answer in the comments section:
If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why?
Not too bad huh? Also, I’m feeling rather generous and creative, but have no thoughts of my own, so if you want to ask me a question or set me a blog topic, I will answer the question or try my hand at the blog topic of your choice.